Sunday, June 24, 2012

Another African Adventure!


This morning my team and I leave to go 5 hours down country to Awassa to put on a VBS for street orphans, some who haven’t heard the name of Christ! We all kinda expect our plans to go out the window. Being a planner, I have all of the materials needed to play the games and lessons I’m going to help with. The people in this more rural area do not speak Amharic (so the language I have learned can’t be applied) and I’m pretty sure we will be doing everything under this giant tree outside also…the kids could range anywhere from 20 to a lot more (not sure what that means). We will be doing some street ministry…just walking along the road and sharing with people and at some point they will be showing the Jesus film (so pray for a good turnout and that the Gospel with be clearly spoken).

I have learned that my plans are SO insignificant compared to the Fathers. He has guided me to places that I would have never imagined…and to be honest, my life looks a lot different than I expected or even (originally) wanted it to look. Day after day He has been ripping away my comforts and replacing them with new understanding; and He’s constantly whispering to me through His Word so that I can begin to see through His eyes, so I can fall in love with Him more each day by being obedient and trusting in everything that stems from the cross. Every time I have failed (which I do all the time), He faithfully picks me up so that He is, once again at the forefront of my thinking.

A quote that I wanted to share that has been sinking in me over the last week has been a reminder of how we ONLY need Jesus. All of the work we feel like we need to accomplish should not be the focus.
 “It is not what we do that matters, but what a SOVEREIGN God chooses to do through us. He doesn’t want our success; He wants us. He doesn’t demand our achievements; He demands our obedience.” – Chuck Colson

Please also pray for team unity as some share different beliefs then our own (which leaves room for opportunity). We are going with a fun group…as one said “I’m pretty sure we will all have 6 packs by the end of this trip from laughing so hard.” Love my team, love the people I have the opportunity to work with.
So excited for God to use all of us! Praying that we will be flexible and willing with whatever He places in front of us!

More updates soon…I would make this longer but I gotta bolt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment