I am sitting here trying to gather all of the several thoughts that have been racing through my head since we arrived late Wednesday night. It’s hard to believe that we’ve been here for almost a week.
When walking the city streets and the dusty roads in Addis, it’s hard to compare anything to America. We had the opportunity to go to a Saturday evening service at a church through Strong Hearts and I could'nt stop watching the people, even kids around me cry out to God with all of their hearts in prayer, in worship. Although I couldn’t understand anything they were talking about – the sight of seeing these people fallen on their knee’s and jumping up and down absolutely overjoyed in the salvation that they have in Christ stuck with me. He is all they have! What an incomprehensible treasure they have!
Today we visited WAR (Women at Risk) Ministry and spoke with the women who work there. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be a part of this! Basically prostitution is HUGE here in Addis. This is a way of life for most women who are forced into marriage at a young age (sometimes 13 or 14) to older men who are abused and escape then using prostitution as a way to survive, when they have no skills or education. Some of these women have children as a result of this. WAR takes in 20-22 women every year who have a desire for something more outside of the vicious cycle. As we toured the center, we met some very dedicated women who served to share the light of Christ in these dark situations. WAR provides a safe place for the women to come, learn skills, go through Biblical counseling, take classes, and have a safe place for their children to stay and play while their moms learn to care for themselves, as well as their children. I still have goose bumps thinking about the 96% success rate that come from these women not turning back to prostitution and several giving their life to Christ through this ministry….how amazing is that!?!? We had the opportunity to meet some of the children there and our team introduced ourselves to the women we will be coming to hang out with, their faces were all lit up with big smiles in welcoming us Can’t wait to begin!!
Tomorrow we will be visiting the Hospice ministry to tour the building which we will have the opportunity to be a part of with patience who have mostly HIV/AIDS and leprosy. We will mostly be sharing/praying with these patients during our visits. It will be hard to see, but I know God has been a huge part of this ministry, and I can’t wait to hear about what He is doing through the people there.
We have had several opportunities to meet so many amazing missionaries here in the little apartment area that we are staying in - we just so happened to meet one couple with the most precious family (Dr. David and Julie) who had our team as well as another missionary (Nicoli from the UK) over for dinner last night. We actually met them because I somehow managed to lock myself in my room and couldn’t get out the following morning so Dr. David had to come to my rescue haha. It was so overwhelmingly encouraging though to see how God guides those to do His work.
As I type this it is almost 1:30am here. SO much to tell but not enough time. I must get to sleep.
Please be in prayer for our upcoming VBS that we will be doing through Strong Hearts (a lot of the children we will be working with have mom’s who are in the WAR program). My team and I need to plan this week and we were told to run with it. We want God to guide our hearts through the planning.
God has blessed me with amazing team mates which is a big answer to prayer. We have had SO many moments of laughter, sharing and tears already. I am so thankful for a great team and unity in Christ – we already feel like family.
Our memory verse for this week is Colossians 4:5-6, “Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” Something that God has been teaching all of us.
Thank you for the prayers! Language is still a barrier but I know that God will work through those obstacles as He see’s fit. We began language training Friday and have already had 2 lessons….lot’s to learn/memorize as we were told Amharic is the 4th hardest language to learn in the world…so please keep praying
Love you all very much! I will try to update more soon!!
Thanks for the update Britt! I've been thinking of you and praying for you.
ReplyDeleteSo good to hear from you. I am moved to tears. I can only imagine how you will grow as a result of this experience. You are a blessing to everyone around you and I'm SO PROUD OF YOU. Love you, Aunt Tam
ReplyDelete