Monday, June 18, 2012

Learning to go with the flow




From a planners standpoint (practically what I went to school for), God has constantly been teaching me that even though I have my own expectations or even set plans that I believe are going to place, God can turn them around in an instant and have a pretty good reason behind it. Proverbs 19:21 has been striking me hard lately, “many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”


To be honest, this week was suppose to be our VBS week through Strong Hearts (the school that we will be working with) but it was cancelled due to school still be in session. At first it was hard to have a good attitude behind it because I’ve really wanted to go and spend time with the kids there. Right now our host missionary, the director of Strong Hearts and Kayla are basically remaking most of our schedule for the summer…so we still aren’t completely sure what we will be doing or when. 


I have to stop myself from getting discouraged and remember Proverbs 19:21, 16:3, 16:9, 19:33, 27:1, Isaiah 14:24, 14:27, etc. God has me right here in Addis, right now at 12:00pm for a reason. Right now He is allowing me to write out my thoughts and reflect on what He has been teaching me through all of this. 


I am learning to start to just go with the flow. My team mates and I have no control over what ministries we will be spending more or less time at. We understand that these ministries are already launched and we are simply here to be the hands and feet and help where needed. As I was just now flipping through my Bible I came to Philippians 2:12-16 which says: “Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed – not only in my presence but now much more in my absence – continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life – in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.” What a JOY and HONOR it is to be a part of this mission. God allows us to be a part of this amazing mission, He doesn’t NEED us, but He allows us to be a part of it for our growth and our good, and for His glory. 


As I am reminded of these verses, these truths, I am excited to step forth unto the unknown and be a part of what God is already doing here in Addis. Next week we are supposed to be going to Awasa to work with 20 or more street kids (orphans) there doing VBS with them. Pray as we prepare to share Gods love with these children, that God will use Kate, Keara, Gretchen and I as He sees fit, not as we do. Pray that we will be willing and remember that flexibility is the key! Pray for receptive hearts with the children and that we will find ways to show the love of Christ despite the language barrier. They will be speaking a whole new language there from what we’ve been learning and we aren’t even sure if we will have translators or how many, but God is good and if He wills us to go, He will make happen what should take place for His glory. 




In the mean time, we have really enjoyed meeting so many other missionary families, hearing of how God turned the impossible into possible to bring these families to where they are now. Some of their stories blow my mind. Just recently Dundee (the leader of Strong Hearts) spoke at the Hospice meeting we went to today and said, “when we pray here, it’s because we do not have…but God listens and He answers.” This is so simple but after hearing story after story…the faith that these people have is amazing. God wants us to not doubt when we ask Him, trusting Him with our whole hearts. He knows the hearts of His children and when we are being sincere or trusting (I Thess 5:16-18, Hebrews 11:1, 11:6, James 5:13-16). I see these scriptures being acted out and these promises being kept through the people that we’ve had the opportunity to get to know.


I will try and update again soon since we will be getting our new schedules again today. As far as I know we will be working with the same ministries that I had listed before, we just aren’t sure when these things will play out and how.


Hope all is well back in the States! Feel free to email me if you are curious about something or just want to talk more personally. I appreciate the prayers. I’ve been adding pictures on facebook but I’ll try to add some on here too soon  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment